Sunday, January 22, 2017

Marching in DSM and around the world

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.” ― Betty White

PAUL AND I marched in Des Moines on Saturday. There were 26,000 of us!!!

It was a challenge because we had driven to Chicago and back (!!) the day before the march in order to make a deadline for a customer. We were home by a little before midnight, but I was too wired or overtired to sleep until 3:00 AM. 


As a favor, the vendor we visited in Chicago gave us some scrap blank substrate to use for our signs, but we still needed to buy the rest of the materials and actually make the signs by morning, so about 2:30 AM, I was despairing. 


My plan was to tell Paul as soon as he was awake that even if it took putting me in a wheel barrow and pushing me, I had to be at that march. But as is so often the case, Paul made it happen for me. He was kind enough to get up an hour before I did and go to the store to get big fat markers and stakes so that I could sleep just a little bit longer.  


And so we got there . . . without having to resort to yard and garden equipment. It made me SO SO SO happy to be part of this historic event.





I'm in awe of every organizer of every march across the USA and the around the globe. It's impossible for me to adequately thank them for what they've accomplished!!

I've heard from friends around the country, and marches everywhere were huge. Organizers planned for X-number and got two and three times that. In Des Moines, planners initially thought we'd have 5000. They upped it the day before the march to 10,000, and in the end we had 26,000. And that's the story from Austin to New York City to Chicago to Seattle to LA.


To those who marched: thank you from the bottom of my heart. I salute each and every one of you.



Des Moines

Below is an encouraging video and some pictures Paul and I took. At least I know we're not alone.











































1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures. I had relatives in the March from D.C. to Sacramento to Eugene, OR. What a fantastic day?

    ReplyDelete