Thursday, May 21, 2015

Bad bowling

“Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations. Expect the best of yourself, and then do what is necessary to make it a reality.” — Ralph Marston, writer and publisher of The Daily Motivator

OH, just put a sock in it, Ralph.

Paul and I are terrible bowlers. I mean really and truly, completely awful. I say that with assurance and relief.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a good bowler or aspiring to be one.

It's just that I find it joyous to totally suck at something and not feel even the tiniest bit bad about it. This whole constantly trying to get good at things that I'm not and get better at things I am is exhausting!! 

Do you get the idea that I might suffer from extreme performance anxiety? I do. That's what comes from being raised by two grandmothers for whom achievement and appearances were everything.

Paul and I are planning to have a bad-bowling party in celebration of how really bad we are at it. Some of you who are reading this have already been spoken to (you know who you are) and will be invited. I can't wait.

In the meantime, here's a vintage video that's amazing. Really, it's just priceless, not to mention unbelievable. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! We used to watch those shorts! I was a lousy bowler too. My highest average ever was 115 and it was still fun. Good for you for just enjoying it. The sounds, the laughter, the beer, the silliness of it all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you were here. You'd be invited to our bad-bowling party. This is sent from within my blog.

    ReplyDelete