Monday, October 13, 2014

Why indeed

“I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant.” — H. L. Mencken

LAST YEAR one of my Hey Look readers was miffed at me for suggesting that we ditch Columbus Day and replace it with International Nelson Mandela Day. My friend said, "Why insult all those of Italian descent in our country?" 

Okay. I like Italians. One of my most favorite people in all the world was first generation 100% Italian. So I amend my suggestion thusly: change the designation from Columbus Day to Italian Heritage Day (it would have to be downgraded from being a national holiday of course, but then neither is Saint Patrick's Day, and I don't grouse about that) and add International Nelson Mandela Day to the calendar as a national holiday.

There. Problem solved. We no longer celebrate the decimation of the original inhabitants of the Americas, we have the same number of days off (well, the banks, post offices and governmental workers do; the rest of us don't), and we have one additional day to drink to excess: beer on St. Patty's Day and vino on Italian Heritage Day. I expect my call from the State Department with an ambassadorial offer at any moment.

PS: This video is courtesy of my pal, Dale Bert. We don't get whatever channel John Oliver is on (more's the pity), so thanks, Dale, for sharing it with me.


1 comment:

  1. I thought it had been changed to Indigenous People's Day. Reading lots about that. Columbus is so six hundred years ago.

    ReplyDelete