Friday, January 11, 2013

Every now and then

"The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things." Henry Ward Beecher

SOMETIMES as you go about your day, a small thing happens that makes you smile and feel for just a moment that all's right with the world. 

On the way to work today as we were stopped at a corner downtown, two edgy-cute young women crossed the street holding hands, just as Paul and I do when we walk together. I wanted to jump out of our mini-van and hug them both and tell them how happy-hearted it makes me to see them free to walk down the street unashamed of who they love.

As another little happy bonus, here's a priceless baseball clip for you. Talk about being a consummate pro and utterly unflappable!

Some might be surprised to know that I like baseball. I'm quite proud, actually, of having once explained the game to a local UK resident in a London pub well enough that he got it, though others had tried unsuccessfully before to elucidate him. One of my personal strengths is that I'm pretty good at reducing complex processes and ideas to something the rest of us can understand. I have acquired said skill through having spent my life finding ways to explain things to myself. See, there are certain advantages to not exactly being what you'd call a Rhodes Scholar.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment