Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year

"Let our New Year's resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word." — Goran Persson, Prime Minister of Sweden 1996 - 2006

PAUL AND I just finished delivering 32 books and 32 pairs of new pajamas in gift bags to the Children and Families of Iowa Family Violence Shelter on behalf of Helen's Pajama PartyThe pajamas were purchased by members of the community who care about victims of domestic violence and donated to Helen's. So too money for the books. It's a great little volume with 38 ways, one way per page, to be kind to yourself; I inscribed a note of personal encouragement on the inside cover of each one.



I admit that I was kinda wishing I could stay home and finish sewing the drapes for our AP room instead of running around today with last minute errands needed to complete the packing, labeling and delivery. 

Here's what wiped that bit of selfishness from my thoughts. After we carried everything into the shelter, I asked the staff person who was helping to call me and let me know if there are any new arrivals since the count was made last week. 

She said, "Oh yes, we've had a mom and her four children come in today, and another mother with two children last night and a lone adult woman yesterday, so they're all new here." 



I thought about what it must be like to have to run for your life, sometimes with children, and end up meeting the new year in a shelter with nothing except the clothes on your back . . . and fear . . . and sadness. 

I'm hoping in the coming year that we'll all bend our hearts and will to eliminating violence, hopelessness and hate wherever it exists. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment