Monday, November 26, 2012

The joy of hanging out

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

PAUL AND I have enjoyed our break from work. Beside spending time with family, whether they are so by birth or by choice, we did virtually nothing — a little cleaning, laundry and ironing on my part and a little cooking on Paul's. 

I take that back; actually Paul did a lot of cooking. He made a huge batch of whipped sweet potatoes and baked gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and brownies to take to the Stein's for Thanksgiving. Friday he grilled a chicken, made green bean casserole, and I made a fruit salad that we took to Virginia's that night along with more sweet potatoes and a bakery pumpkin pie. 

Saturday Paul made homemade chicken soup, and today he roasted a turkey. He hadn't intended to cook a turkey, but the day after Thanksgiving fresh turkeys were 99 cents a pound at Fareway, and he said he couldn't pass up getting one.

Wednesday late afternoon we had dinner with Paul's parents at Jason's Deli. It's a surprising chain; they have gluten-free as well as organic offerings. Recent studies seem to indicate that you don't get more nutrition from organic produce, but that's not what I'm after. I'm looking for less — pesticides and herbicides, that is.

The last five days I've also been rediscovering how gratifying it is to read a really good book. I've almost finished Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost. Like his first two books, The Sex Lives of  Cannibals and Getting Stoned with Savages, he presents geo-political viewpoints without being pedantic, history without being tedious and humor without being contrived. I would die happy if I could write like he does.

Oh yes, Paul and I have also been testing the hypothesis: is it possible to ever have too much green bean casserole? It took several days of experimentation on our part to reach the conclusion that it is indeed possible to grow tired of green bean casserole, but it takes four consecutive days of eating it at least once a day and possibly twice. I am apparently less convinced than he is considering that I chose to have it for breakfast today, but then again, I like drinking green bean juice straight from the can. Today Paul told me I'm actually going to turn into a green bean. I'd be okay with that. 

Below are pictures from the Stein's and pictures of our cute furry babies taken this weekend.


Just some of the food! You should have seen 
the desserts! I was particularly fond of Gail's scalloped corn.

Larry made one regular roast turkey, one 
roasted, smoked turkey and two kinds of dressing.


Top row: Larry, Pop, Blossom and Sharon. Bottom row: Allen, Daphna and David. There were 18 more people besides those pictured here for a total of 25. I'm told 50 is the Stein's record. 

Paul and David. Paul used to babysit for both David and
Allen; the latter can probably blame playing the trombone on Paul.

Sharon's dad and his significant other,
Blossom, who live in Kansas City.

The adorable Miss Shye.

The beautiful Miss Shiva.

The extra-large and lovable Boy Boy

All three in the nest where they (and we) spent a lot of time this weekend.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment