Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bring me a bucket of it

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." Yogi Berra 

THURSDAY NIGHT WAS the opening concert of the Turner Center Jazz Orchestra season. It was especially well done, in my untrained opinion. I certainly enjoyed it at any rate, and so did the audience. If you live in central Iowa, you really ought to try to catch the next concert in November.

Paul and I had forgotten to eat before we went to the Turner Center and were positively ravenous by the time things wrapped up about 10:30. We drove to Jethro's Barbecue on Forest Avenue and got a whole chicken and four sides to go. 

Mmmmm mmmm, mmm, those side dishes were good! We got four different things to try: mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, macaroni and cheese and cold slaw. The mac and cheese is a standout!! I don't know what different kinds of cheese they're putting in it, but it's different than any mac and cheese I've ever had. Just bring me a gallon bucket of it and give me a spoon. The mashed potatoes and gravy were extra good; so was the chicken.

Speaking of food, Wig and Pen in Ankeny has the best pizza in and around Des Moines. Paul used to work at Giordano's in Iowa City and in Des Moines, when they had one here, and he says it's exactly Giordano's famous Chicago-style recipe.

Friday night Paul and I saw Argo in the theater. It's gotten great reviews, and it really is worth watching — very engrossing, suspenseful and well-acted by everyone. We've never been Ben Affleck fans, but after seeing this movie, we may change our minds. He directed it, co-produced it with George Clooney and Grant Heslov, and he stars in it. Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and John Goodman add color and chops.


Ben Affleck


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment