Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Luxuries

"The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury." Charlie Chaplin

THE SUBSCRIPTION DEPARTMENT at the New York Times called today to remind me that ours would expire next month and ask whether or not we wanted to reup. The answer was absolutely yes. I love love love reading the NYT. It's a luxury in my life, though it feels more like a necessity. It has such a diverse range of reporting and opinion that I would feel blind without it.

I got to wondering what other things in my life I consider luxuries. Here's my list in no particular order.

Having the Sunday New York Times paper delivered to us on Saturday night.

A garage that matches the period and style of our house.

Garage door openers.

Being a member of the Rotary Club of Des Moines.

The internet. It's the world's biggest encyclopedia in a little, flat box sitting on my lap right this minute.

Our fancy, decorative driveway.

Blackout shades that pull up from the bottom or down from the top in our bedroom. What an aid to serious sleeping-in on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

A parking spot right outside the back door at work.

A well-stocked closet offering enough alternatives to allow me to put together an outfit in the morning without much effort.

Eleven shelves of utterly ab-fab shoes and boots.

A jewelry armoire with many hey-look-something-shiny choices.

TIVO. If that isn't a luxury, I don't know what is. No having to watch commercials; I can fast forward through programs in sometimes half the time, and we can watch a show when it's convenient instead of just when it comes on.

Tile floors in the front entryway and in the AP room. The one in the AP room will be even better when we can hire an electrician to hook up the heating element in the floor. I can't wait!

A big-capacity washer and dryer. Compared to the apartment-size ones I had for 20 years, these are a dream.

Luxuries I want:

A shower, for crying out loud. I'm tired of the bath-only option.

A dishwasher!!!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment