Saturday, September 29, 2012

Gary Burton and Chick Corea

"I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come." — Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller

PAUL AND I are headed to Kansas City this afternoon to attend a Gary Burton and Chick Corea concert. Gary is a legendary vibes player and Chick Corea, an equally legendary jazz pianist. They've been two of Paul's favorite musicians since he was 15. 

Like the course of events that set up our trip to hear Bonnie Raitt and Marc Cohen, Paul and I were chatting about Gary and Chick. He was talking about how iconic they are, especially playing together, and I thought, "I wonder if they're still touring." I popped over to my computer and low, they were touring together and they were in the middle of current tour and they were coming to Kansas City. I snagged two tickets in a hurry.


Chick Corea and Gary Burton play LA.

Well actually, it wasn't a quick process at all. It took about an hour. Unbeknown to me, and perhaps you as well, credit cards now have an additional security code (I'm not talking about the one of the back) that you have to sign up for in advance, and it was not an easy process. I had to call our bank twice for help, and the second time around banker Barb said, "'Here, I'll just do it for you," but even she couldn't get it done until she tried a second secret banker's-only method!

Thank goodness for Barb

Unfortunately, we can't stay the night. Paul has another gig tomorrow in Oskaloosa, and he needs to be there at 11:30 in the morning for rehearsal. He and the Des Moines Big Band are playing at Indian Hills Community College with Dave Sharp, a sax player who teaches at IHCC. They're playing all Dave Sharp arrangements. It's a free concert, so If you feel like hearing some big band music, drive on down. It's starts at 8:00 PM.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment