Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Guest speaker, Congressman Boswell

"Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none." Benjamin Franklin

APRIL FIFTH WAS my turn to give the invocation at Rotary. Since I signed up before the program roster was finalized, I didn't know who our speaker would be until the week before. It turned out to be Congressman Leonard Boswell.

My club is comprised of Republicans, Democrats, Independents and religious and non-religious members, so I took care to make it as inclusive, conciliatory and ecumenical as possible. I got a number of compliments afterward. 

Join me in an attitude of reflection.
Today and everyday, may we be open to other's ideas and beliefs.
May we be respectful of our differences, not threatened by them.
May we grow in understanding and acceptance of ourselves and one another, replacing intolerance and incivility with insight and inclusiveness.
Working together, may we find common ground as we move forward with shared humanity and purpose.


Rotary Club of Des Moines president, DeAnn Thompson, Congressman
Boswell, yours truly and Allen Zagoren on April 5, 2012.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment