Monday, May 28, 2012

Repose and remembrance

"What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly." — Lao Tzu

IT'S GORGEOUS WEATHER where we live in Iowa. Paul has made a park in the backyard, and we're outside relishing it with Shye, Shiva and Boy Boy.


The view straight up from our blanket in the backyard.


The elegant Miss Shye.

The exotic Miss Shiva.

We enjoyed our weekend together. Friday night we hung out with Paul's parents. Saturday we attended Taylor Kobberdahl's graduation party, and afterwards I got a pedicure while Paul visited Uncle Larry.

Yesterday Paul mowed and planted flowers while I spent time upstairs with Anaya, and last night Paul had a Des Moines Big Band gig featuring Scott Smith

It was a wedding party. The bride called Paul to book it because he'd put together a Scott Smith combo for her friend's wedding reception which, oddly enough, I attended. Gloria Gray and I happened to be downtown together for something else, so we party-crashed. Gloria stayed for a little while, but since I was with Paul, I was there for the duration, and I ended up taking a bunch of pictures for the bride and groom.  

While Paul was at his gig last night, I managed to roust myself enough to do a few loads of laundry and start reclaiming the house, but not before reading the New York Times Magazine and in general savoring having nothing required of me.

Still, we remain mindful of the events of one year ago, and so sweetness and sadness, repose and remembrance intermingle. Jennifer passed through my dreams two days ago: radiant, beautiful, happy.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment