Tuesday, March 29, 2011

One Iowa

"When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain." — Mark TwainNotebook

TONIGHT I volunteered at a phone bank for One Iowa, the organization that seeks to protect marriage equality in Iowa. It's been two years since the law passed allowing same-sex couples equal access to the rights and obligations of marriage that heterosexuals have always enjoyed. The only change in Iowa as a result of the law that I know of is that more people have been allowed to be happy.

I'd never been to the One Iowa office. I was one of seven volunteers calling to let people know that there will be a party Saturday night, April 2 from 6:30 to 9:30 at the Scottish Rite Consistory in Des Moines to celebrate the second anniversary of marriage equality. You can be a sponsor for $100 and get two reserved seats. General admission is $35 per person. There will be food, drinks, music, and Zach Wahls will be there to present an award. If you haven't seen the video of Zach testifying at the Iowa state capitol, here's a link. What a credit to his parents and our state.





The demographics of tonight's volunteers may be different than you might have expected; of the seven volunteers, five of us were straight. The bottom line is that there is broad-based support for allowing people who love each other to formally and legally commit to marriage. I'm glad I helped. Thanks, Matty, for inviting me.


PS: There was this great song that Ben Taylor wrote and sang with his dad, James Taylor, at the concert Paul and attended earlier this month at the Civic Center. I really loved it and wanted to share it, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I emailed Ben's publicist, and he got back to me in like five minutes! Wow, I was impressed. Anyway, that particular song is called Oh Brother and it's not done being recorded yet. It will be released on a new album they hope will be out in September.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment